How to Find the Right Garage Storage System for You
If you have done any research regarding garage storage systems, you may be overwhelmed by the number of options. Shelves, cabinets, drawers, overhead storage, wall systems, hooks, pegboards and slatboard are some of the most popular garage storage options available today. Which ones are right for your needs? Use these guidelines to narrow down your selection.
Get Rid of the Clutter
Before you determine which garage storage systems you should install, first you must de-clutter the space. On a nice Saturday afternoon, empty the contents of the garage onto the driveway. Put items into one of three piles:
- Toss anything broken or obsolete that you’ve held onto over the years.
- Sell anything you don’t need anymore, but that you think someone else might be able to use.
- Keep the rest. Decide what should stay in the garage and what should be stored elsewhere in your home.
Assess Your Needs
With the garage bare, now is the time to determine where you might install garage storage solutions. Take measurements on empty walls so you have some numbers to work with. Learn what types of storage are best for different needs. For example:
- Garage cabinets provide a home for items you want out of site, such as cleaning supplies and chemicals. They also provide more protection than shelving for outerwear, food storage and camping gear.
- Garage shelves are ideal for storing boxes and bins of like items, as well as bulky objects that don’t fit behind a cabinet door.
- Drawers allow you to organize small items such as extension cords, measuring tape and other tools in an easy-to-reach way.
- Overhead shelving maximizes the available storage space in the garage. Racks mounted to the ceiling make space for spare tires, bins of holiday decorations and other lesser-used items, freeing space closer to ground level.
- Wall systems including hooks, pegboards and slatboard offer a versatile way to hang awkward items off the floor, including garden hoses, ladders, bikes, sporting equipment and more.
Make Quality a Priority
Remodeling the garage is something you only want to do once. Don’t waste your time on low-quality items that deteriorate with time. Instead, choose commercial-grade shelves, hefty steel fixtures and wall-mounted cabinets to protect against pests and water intrusion. At Pittsburgh Garage, our garage storage systems are built to last. For example, our cabinets come with robust 3/4-inch vertical cabinet panels and 1-inch thick decks and shelves to ensure even the heaviest storage won’t warp them. Then, our all-steel organization accessories provide versatility and durability for expandable storage you know will hold up.
For more help finding the right garage storage options for your needs, please schedule a free on-site design consultation with a Pittsburgh Garage representative. Our experts are available to help with everything from the design phase to de-cluttering to installation.